Back Home grant open: $20,000 for home owners, $5000 for renters

For people needing help to get back home after the floods, a combined State and Commonwealth grant provides a one-off payment for homeowners, landlords and renters.

The one-off Back Home payments are $20,000 for owner-occupiers, $15,000 for landlords, and $5000 for renters across the Clarence Valley, Kyogle, Richmond Valley and Lismore.

The grant can be used to replace appliances, reconnect utilities and carry out structural repairs to make homes safe and habitable again.

Deputy Premier and Minister for Regional NSW Paul Toole said the $112 million package help support the flood recovery.

“We want to see people safely back in their homes. This grant provides payments to help people make critical repairs like fixing roofs, reconnecting utilities or replacing furniture and whitegoods,” Mr Toole said.

More than 10,000 homes have been assessed as damaged, with more than 4,000 assessed as uninhabitable across NSW.

Anyone who has registered already will receive an alert that the system is now taking formal applications.

More than 5,900 residents already registered their interest in the Back Home grant and Service NSW will be reaching out to them in the coming days to ensure this support is delivered as quickly as possible.

Impacted households can apply on the Service NSW website or via the app, with support also available on 13 77 88.

The funds can go towards any clean-up costs to restore housing to a habitable condition including:

  • Inspection and safe reconnection of utilities, such as electrical, gas, water, hot water and sewerage equipment not otherwise the responsibility of utility companies
  • Necessary replacement or repairs to damaged essential household goods such as refrigerators, ovens, washing machines and microwaves
  • Necessary replacement or repairs to damaged equipment such as computers and tools
  • Replacing other essential household contents
  • Moving to a new property
  • Necessary structural repairs including roof, flooring, walls and fitting replacement (owners).

In addition to the hardest hit LGAs, the Back Home grant can be accessed by owners and renters with households in the following adjoining areas:




Low-income earners who are successful in their application for the Disaster Relief Grant are unable to apply for the Back Home grant.

However, anyone who doesn’t qualify for the DRG can apply for the Back Home.

For more information on the Back Home grant and to apply go here.

Do let us know how you get on with your application so we can let others know. Email or phone 0431 406 054.

Welcome to Richmond Valley and Kyogle news

Scroll to Top
Like an alert when we add a story? Yes please No thanks