ABOVE: Photo of a previous storm west of the range.
On this balmy afternoon, with the kookaburras chortling in the trees outside my window as I type the weather report, it’s hard to imagine severe thunderstorms are on the way.
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a warning for the Northern Rivers which included damaging winds and large hailstones.
Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Casino, Kyogle, Maclean and Dorrigo.
The State Emergency Service had this advice:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
- Trees that have been damaged by fire are likely to be more unstable and more likely to fall.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows and keep children and pets indoors as well.