Battery charger ignites mattress in house fire

ABOVE: A Casino firefighter wears breathing gear and checks the damage after a mattress caught fire. Photos: Fire and Rescue

A charger left on mattress overheated and started a fire at a home in Casino.

Shortly after 11:30am yesterday, Saturday, September 3, Fire and Rescue crews responded to the callout of a fire in the area of Fergusson St.

Casino Station 253 crew found a mattress alight in the house.

The fire was contained to the mattress and quickly extinguished by two firefighters wearing breathing equipment.

The fire was caused by a charger overheating on the mattress but the quick thinking of the occupants minimised further smoke or damage to the rest of the house.

Fire fighters said it was a timely reminder to never charge batteries or devices on combustible and insulating surfaces such as beds, couches or carpet, and keep them away from highly flammable materials such as blankets, clothing, and paper.

This fire could have been a lot worse.

The burnt charger cord.

Scroll to Top
Like an alert when we add a story? Yes please No thanks