ABOVE: Bring some cheer to your home and stomach with these colourful cupcakes. Photo: Debbie Reid
How to make Marble Cupcakes
125g of butter softened
½ cup of caster sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1½ cups self raising flour
½ cup custard powder
½ cup of milk
Food colouring of your choice (I used yellow, red, green and blue)
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Line two trays with six cupcake patty papers.
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add vanilla essence and eggs one at a time.
3. Use a wooden spoon to mix and combine the dry ingredients alternating with the milk.
4. Separate the mixture into four bowls and add a dash of yellow, red, green and blue food colouring.
5. Add the four mixture colours back into the bowl separately then gently swirl together with a knife creating a marble pattern.
6. Gently scoop out with an ice cream scoop (one scoop for each cupcake paper) then cook for about 15 minutes.
7. Ice with your favourite butter cream icing. I use 125g of butter beaten till light and fluffy, ½ teaspoon of vanilla essence then 1 and 1/2 cups of icing sugar, two tablespoons of cocoa powder and one tablespoon of milk if needed (beaten again till light and fluffy).
Recipe submitted by Debbie Reid from Kyogle CWA Evening Branch