REGISTER: EPA to clean up flood debris for private landowners

ABOVE: Flood debris at Tatham. Photo: Susanna Freymark

If there is flood debris on your property, the NSW Environment Protection Authority may help clean it up.

This kind of debris will be collected:

Asbestos – asbestos containing materials (10m2 or more of bonded asbestos)

Cement – cladding, sheeting, cement mix, concrete, bitumen

Chemicals – (more than 20L or 20kg): household chemicals, hospital chemicals, industrial chemicals, pesticides, other chemicals

Engineered timber: treated timber, posts, engineered logs

Fencing – fence posts, fence wire, metal fencing, other wiring

Fuel – (more than 20L or 20kg): gas bottles, jerry cans, citronella, petroleum, diesel, other fuels

Furniture – couches, tables

Mattresses – springs, bed frames

Metal – metal posts and wiring, metal sheeting, machinery, shipping containers, vehicles (if uninsured)

Oil – (more than 20L or 20kg): lubricants

Paint – (more than 20L)

Plastic – rigid plastic, plastic tubs

Silage bales which are whole and intact or ruptured


There are some items the EPA won’t collect. This includes:

Leaves, driftwood, trees, aquatic weeds, branches, straw bales, soil, sand, creek pebbles and stones, roots, grass

Insured vehicles

Silage with small volumes of plastic attached or minimal plastic (less than 50% of whole bale covered)

Wildlife carcasses – kangaroos, birds, possums, foxes, feral pigs, rodents, other wildlife.

Flood-affected private landowners and tenants can request help with the clean up of flood debris if they were impacted by the February and March floods.

Follow this link to request a clean up at your property.

Welcome to Richmond Valley and Kyogle news

Scroll to Top
Like an alert when we add a story? Yes please No thanks