The Casino United Hospital Auxiliary is finishing up after 120 years of supporting the hospital.
Founded in 1903, the Auxiliary raised funds to buy hospital items and medical equipment for the Casino and District Memorial Hospital.
It is estimated the Auxiliary raised more than $1 million.
Some of the items they bought for the hospital are:
• Blood machine for checking cardiac enzymes
• Three adjustable beds
• Dynamaps (for patient observations)
• Five recliner chairs for day surgery
• Refurbished two wards with ergonomic lockers/footstools.
• Wheelchairs and shower chairs
• Lifter machine
• Mobility aids
• Murals on wall in recovery area
• Surgical instruments for visiting doctors
• Washing machine and dryer for patients with no local family
The Auxiliary has had to close because of a lack of numbers.
Mayor Robert Mustow made a special mention about the Auxiliary at the council meeting on July 18.
He thanked Robyn Spruce, who has served on the executive for the past two decades as secretary and president, Deborah Jaynes who served as treasurer and Barbara Thorley, who was also secretary.
He also thanked Jean Rutley, who served for 35 years as supervisor of the hospital kiosk.