History is a highlight on the revamped coraki.town website.
Jacqui Kennedy who collated photographs of boats on the Richmond River for The Hunt Collection has made the website easier to navigate.
The site includes historical photos from the pioneering days, the Yabsley and Yeager families, Campbell Hospital and Coraki pubs and shops.
See a photo of the Coraki Hotel built in 1886 and the only one of five pubs in Coraki that is still operating.
There is a page that features articles from The Triangle, a free four-page newspaper printed from 1954-74 covering the districts of Coraki, Woodburn, Evans Head and Broadwater.
In 1974, the paper reported how Tomki Shire Council applied for a flood damage grant of $41,940.
In 1969, 20 acres of tobacco at Bora Ridge marked the start of a new industry in the Mid-Richmond district.
In 1959, there was a story about the Broadwater Beach subdivision and the Lands Department was asked to dispose of all of the 28 blocks covering the flat and hill at Broadwater Beach.
In 1958, Woodburn Shire Council decided to install 240-watt mercury vapour lamps to replace the old 100-watt open bracket lamps.
In that same paper, it was reported that 453 head of cattle and 413 calves were yarded during the month of March at the Coraki saleyards.
The Triangle newspaper was started by June McMaster Yabsley in 1954. It was printed by the Northern Star.
In 1959, June handed over control to Jean Hartam-Bayes and photographs began to be included.
By 1965 it had increased to eight pages and switched to being distributed on Wednesdays, increasing its area to Ballina and Byron Bay.
By the early 1970s, the publication had moved up to Casino with the local representative being Dorothy Robson.
The bumper 24-page March 1974 issue is the last one located.
During 2021, about 80 editions of The Triangle were digitised and a team of transcribers turned the scans into readable text.
On coraki.town there is a 1000-page document which can be searched for family name references or subject investigation. For instance, the evolution of the ambulance station and the politics around the Evans Head Reserve have been extracted.
This information is not available on the archive newspaper website Trove as the site doesn’t accept publications after 1950s.
If, after searching your family name you would like to read the corresponding page scan, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the date/page details. A small research fee may be applicable for multiple requests.
Ms Kennedy said if anyone has copies of The Triangle in their family heirloom shoebox or cupboard to email email@example.com