The morning after the stormy night before

ABOVE: Kyogle SES helped at a house today that was destroyed in the storm. Photo: Kyogle SES

Susanna Freymark

Last night’s storm was fierce and filled with lightning.

Today, Thursday, January 5, SES crews are busy cleaning up the mess the storm.

The Richmond Valley Cluster of SES units from Casino, Kyogle, Urbenville and Tabulam was called out 10 times during the storm.

Local Commander Hayden Doolan said the SES worked with local RFS.

Kyogle SES was called to the Rainforest Gateway Campground at 7.15pm after a storm ripped through the Gradys Creek area.

Trees were down over the road blocking access to the campground.

SES chainsaw operators and the Kyogle RFS crew cleared the trees.

One of the many jobs for the Casino SES unit was at Tabulam.

In the early hours of the morning, the crew spent hours putting a tarp over a house at Tabulam.

The house lost half of its Colorbond roof during the storm, Casino SES said.

A Colorbond roof was ripped off this house in Tabulam . Photo: Casino SES

Tabulam RFS were on site to lend a hand.

“They got the tarps in place just in time as a second round of rain and storms started impacting as the crews were still tying off.”

Kyogle Unit had to tarp a leaking roof today. When the crew arrived, they saw that the entire roof had been ripped off in the storm and the house was destroyed.

Members placed tarps over treasured possessions to try and save them from further damage. The sole resident was unharmed.

Woodenbong RFS Brigade was still cleaning up from the storm on Tuesday, January 4. Crews spent half the night clearing roads after the massive storm.

The unit advised that “there were still branches hung up in trees so be careful when out and about”.

After the storm at Urbenville. Photo: Michael Bath

The rainfall in the past 24 hours was:

Bentley 35mm

Green Pigeon 29mm

Casino 11mm

Evans Head 14mm

Tabulam 31mm

Tuckurimba 26mm

Wiangaree 34mm

If you require help from flood or storm damage call NSW SES ON 132500

Big gum down at Gradys Creek. Photo: Faye Palmer
Scroll to Top